LINN has launched its next-generation Klimax DSM streamer/preamp, touting it as the “ultimate streaming product that’s been designed from the ground up, featuring extreme engineering and breathtaking sound… the closest you’ll get to streaming audio perfection.”
If the looks seem familiar, that’s because you first saw it on Linn’s “midrange” Selekt streamer that came out in 2018. The modern and sophisticated design, with its eye-catching volume dial, should blend seamlessly with most styles of interior decor.
The heart of the the Klimax DSM is Linn’s proprietary Organik DAC, which the company says enables its “most natural sound ever.”
“Designed without compromise and manufactured entirely in-house, the home-grown all-Linn DAC combines FPGA processing with a discrete conversion stage, relentlessly optimised to work perfectly together as a system, enabling us to precisely control and optimise every stage of the digital-to-analogue conversion process for the first time,” Linn tells us in its press release.
“Organik offers significantly lower noise and distortion, measuring better than anything we’ve achieved before. It expertly performs the digital-to-analogue conversion to achieve the most accurate re-creation of the original music signal, revealing even more of the tiny details that provide a closer emotional connection with the music.”
The Klimax DSM is available it two variants, audio and AV (for HDMI connectivity with movie sources), and “streams virtually any digital source over a standard network, supporting formats up to 24-bit/384kHz with the addition of DSD256.”
Among the Klimax DSM’s highlights:
- Integrates seamlessly with Tidal and Qobuz lossless streaming
- Spotify Connect, Tidal, Airplay and Roon
- Plays Internet radio via TuneIn and Calm Radio
- Analogue, digital and wireless connectivity (WiFi and Bluetooth)
- HDMI 2.0 connections (4K compatible) including eARC for Smart TV connection (AV variant only)
- New lowest distortion ADC to get the most from connected analogue sources
- Exakt Links for connection of Klimax LP12, Urika II, Exaktbox or integrated Exakt speakers
- Distortion-free digital volume control
- Surround sound processing available with upgrade (AV)
- Space Optimisation built-in (requires configuration by Linn Specialist)
The Klimax DSM’s casing is machined from solid, special-grade aluminium, and the “striking design takes on a fresh new family look whilst retaining the distinguished and much-loved signature Klimax feel… the beautiful dial designed for Klimax DSM is a badge of pride, a visible reflection of the attention to detail and incredible engineering that lies inside that extraordinary enclosure.”
The Klimax DSM, available in silver or black, is priced at £30,000 for either variant. Linn is also offering a very generous upgrade for existing Klimax owners – a £5,000 trade-in rebate.